Re: Let's think about removing Python 2.1 and 2.2

On 12/06/2005 Matthias Klose wrote:
> Martin Michlmayr writes:
> > I once had a discussion with Matthias Klose about reducing the number
> > of Python versions in Debian and he said he'd like to get rid of 2.1
> > and 2.2 after sarge is out.  If I remember correctly, a problem is
> > that 2.1 is needed by Jython and 2.1 by Zope.  Can someone please work
> > on a plan to move these packages to a newer version of Python and to
> > get rid of 2.1 and 2.2 (and maybe 2.3) in time for etch?
>
> Yes, there is a plan, hopefully be presented at Debconf5. However we
> should keep jython in the archives, upstream shows some activity for
> python2.3/2.4 compatibility.  2.3 is still needed for zope 2.7 and
> zope 2.8, these zope version do run with 2.4, but upstream claims,
> there was not yet any security audit done for zope 2.x on python2.4.
> AFAIK besides zope there are no other reasons to keep 2.3 in the
> archives.

according to upstream, zope 2.6 (default zope version in debian) should
best be run with python 2.1. python 2.2 is already depreciated. as zope
(2.6.4-1.8) already runs with python 2.2, at least this version has to
be kept in unstable as long as zope 2.6 is supported in debian.

i asked about this recently on the pkg-zope-developers list. someone
claimed that providing a smooth upgrade from zope 2.6 to 2.7 would be
good, and maybe that implies that zope 2.6 will stay in the archive for
some more time.

bye
 jonas