python2.3-profiler package

I would like to ask what is the current status of python2.3-profiler
package. The file /usr/lib/python2.3/profile.py is missing from new
version of python on debian-unstable. From bug report
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=294553 and changelog I
understand that python package was split into python and non-free
python-profiler due to non-DFSG conforming license.

Since that some of packages that depend on python profiler ( ipython for
example) are broken as well as some of my home-made code that expects
profile.py to exist. python2.3-profiler package does not exist so far
neither in unstable or in incoming sections of debian archives.

Are concerned developers aware of current situation? Also maybe it would
be worth trying to ask upstream authors about license because current
python distribution is broken in that sense that lots of 3rd party
software expects standard python distribution with profile.py for
example and will not work on stock debian. Packages like ipython would
have to be moved to contrib section which I think is a shame.

Pavel Jurus