Python Packaging Question

Hi all.
 I have a question for anybody who can give me an answer about
 Debian Packaging Python Scripts if somebody did practice that.
  As i am really in bad need of that .
  i compress my files uisng .tar.gz and then convert it to a debian package using
   Alien package converter for converting to .deb .
   For changing the destination install directory i can do that through
    dpkg -i --instdir= /mydir/     mypackage.deb
    for making the script to run automatically when it gets installed that part i am still missing . I would appreciate if anybody have an answer for that question.
  Amr