Re: Any way to tweak build apt-listchanges for testing [Solved]

Thanks, Derrick.  Your suggestion to copy _compat22 from python2.2 to
python 2.3 worked.  As far as I can tell, everything is now working.

So for anyone else who wants to try this trick to get apt-listchanges
working in testing, the recipe is
- get unstable source for apt-listchanges and python-apt
- apply patches in previous message
- get other build dependencies (e.g. python2.3-dev)
- build debs
- copy _compat22 file
- install packages and run

Probably this is only relevant if you picked up the early beta release
of python2.3 to testing.  And with luck in a few days it will all be
unnecessary, as the real python 2.3 and friends migrate to testing.

The compiler warnings look similar to those in the latest official
build (e.g.,
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=python-apt&ver=0.5.8&arch=ia64&stamp=1060349398&file=log&as=raw),
so probably are OK.

It looks as if the buildd logs
http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=python-apt have no entries for
32 bit Intel (except Hurd).  Does anyone know why?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:14:52AM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:30:27AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> [... using python2.3 from testing, version "2.2.106"]
>
> | I built the two packages and dpkg -i'd them.  When I tried to run apt
> | I got the following:
> |
> | Traceback (most recent call last):
> |   File "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges", line 35, in ?
> |     import apt_listchanges
> |   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/apt_listchanges.py", line 9, in ?
> |     import email.Message
> |   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/email/Message.py", line 17, in ?
> |     from email import Charset
> |   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/email/Charset.py", line 6, in ?
> |     import email.base64MIME
> |   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/email/base64MIME.py", line 31, in ?
> |     from email._compat22 import _floordiv
> | ImportError: No module named _compat22
> | Preconfiguring packages ...
> |
> | The python email package changes rapidly; I suspect what's happened is
> | that the the version in the testing python2.3  differs from that
> | in unstable.
>
> Some of the python2.3 packages were a little buggy.  The "2.2.10X"
> versions aren't actual releases, but are either CVS snapshots or
> alpha/beta releases that Matthias packaged prior to the 2.3 release.
> Apparently the version still in testing is one of the ones missing
> that file.
>
> A simple workaround is to copy /usr/lib/python2.2/email/_compat22.py
> from the python2.2 package to /usr/lib/python2.3/email/_compat22.py.
>
> | There were also some compiler warnings that may indicate similar drift
> | at the C level (for python-apt).
>
> Warnings (as opposed to errors) don't prevent the build from
> succeeding.  However, if the program crashes or doesn't work right
> then the warnings may be indicative of the cause(s).
[snip]