Re: Any way to tweak build apt-listchanges for testing [Partial Results]

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:30:27AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
[... using python2.3 from testing, version "2.2.106"]

| I built the two packages and dpkg -i'd them.  When I tried to run apt
| I got the following:
|
| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges", line 35, in ?
|     import apt_listchanges
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/apt_listchanges.py", line 9, in ?
|     import email.Message
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/email/Message.py", line 17, in ?
|     from email import Charset
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/email/Charset.py", line 6, in ?
|     import email.base64MIME
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/email/base64MIME.py", line 31, in ?
|     from email._compat22 import _floordiv
| ImportError: No module named _compat22
| Preconfiguring packages ...
|
| The python email package changes rapidly; I suspect what's happened is
| that the the version in the testing python2.3  differs from that
| in unstable.

Some of the python2.3 packages were a little buggy.  The "2.2.10X"
versions aren't actual releases, but are either CVS snapshots or
alpha/beta releases that Matthias packaged prior to the 2.3 release.
Apparently the version still in testing is one of the ones missing
that file.

A simple workaround is to copy /usr/lib/python2.2/email/_compat22.py
from the python2.2 package to /usr/lib/python2.3/email/_compat22.py.

| There were also some compiler warnings that may indicate similar drift
| at the C level (for python-apt).

Warnings (as opposed to errors) don't prevent the build from
succeeding.  However, if the program crashes or doesn't work right
then the warnings may be indicative of the cause(s).

| python/sourcelist.cc:30: warning: unused variable `PkgSourceListStruct&Struct'

Unused variables won't cause problems.  The unused variable should be
removed from the source, but unless you're into house cleaning (IOW if
you're not a developer on the project and not submitting patches) then
ignore it.

| python/sourcelist.cc:76: warning: `PyObject*Owner' might be used uninitialized
|    in this function

| python/pkgsrcrecords.cc:111: warning: `PyObject*Owner' might be used
|    uninitialized in this function

| python/tar.cc:45: warning: `const char*Type' might be used uninitialized in
|    this function

If you run into crashes or other flaky behavior when running
apt-listchanges then I would look into these and make sure they aren't
part of the problem (or just eliminate the warnings altogether).
Otherwise just ignore them.  The compiler is not a perfect code
checker, which is why it says "might" in the warning.  If the program
actually does try to use an uninitialized variable then the results
are unpredictable, and certainly not a good thing.

HTH,
-D

--
Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/