Re: Summary of python transition problems

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 04:02:50PM +1000, Peter HAWKINS wrote:

> I'm the maintainer (just returning from an extended unexpected
> vacation).

> The problem is this (from the buildd log):

> Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 3.0.0), debconf, python2.2-dev (>= 2.2.3), python2.3-dev, apache2, apache2-dev (>= 2.0.46-1)
> Checking for already installed source dependencies...
> debhelper: missing
> debconf: already installed
> python2.2-dev: missing
> python2.3-dev: missing
> apache2: missing
> apache2-dev: missing
> Checking for source dependency conflicts...
> apache2 is a virtual package provided by: apache2-mpm-worker apache2-mpm-threadpool apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-mpm-perchild
> Using apache2-mpm-worker (no default, using first one)

> Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.0.47-1) ...
> Starting web server: Apache2(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
> Unable to open logs

> invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing apache2-mpm-worker (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Setting up debconf-utils (1.3.14) ...

> ----

> So who do I need to harass to fix this? The apache2 maintainer or the
> powerpc buildd maintainer? Either (i) the apache2 package should fail
> gracefully if it can't start the apache2 server, or (ii) the buildd
> should be set up so that starting the daemon does not fail (isn't there
> a fake start-stop-daemon for this purpose?)

Question is, why do you have a build-depend on apache2 at all?  The
apache2-dev package should be sufficient, without needing to install
a running copy of the server.  Ray's followup seems to confirm this.

If it doesn't build without the apache2 non-dev package, it's an apache2
bug for making people install a live webserver to build modules.
Otherwise, it's a bug in libapache2-mod-python.

Although debootstrap has a 'fake' s-s-d implementation, the buildds
don't use it, and I'm given to understand that there's no plan to make
them start using it.  (Ran into this when someone decided *on the buildd
side* that php4 should similarly build-depend on apache... feh...)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer