Re: Correct location of .py and .pyc files

Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

> There was some discussion on comp.lang.python about
> standardizing the bytecode awhile back, but the consensus
> was that the standardized part of Python is *the source code*.
> IMHO, they (/we) don't want to encourage obfuscated
> distributions of Python packages.  Python is a very open-source
> centric language and community.

Rest assured, nobody on this list so far has been trying to have Debian
ship bytecode-only Python modules. In fact, the current policy draft
clearly discourages distributing bytecode at all. .pyc and .pyo in most
Python packages in Debian are generated from the .py files at
installation time (postinst). They are not shipped in debs.

What we are trying to know is if we can safely store sets of
.{py,pyc,pyo} in /usr/share/package/ (in the case of .py files that are
architecture-independent, which is almost always true). This requires
the .pyc and .pyo to be architecture-independent because /usr/share is
supposed to be shareable between several machines (via NFS, usually)
whose architectures can differ.

--
Florent