Re: python 2.2 -> python 2.3 transition

Joey Hess writes:
> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Am I the only one who has a disgusting reminiscence of netscape*.* packages
> > every time python* is mentioned? :P
>
> Actually I'm more reminded of the perl* packages and the complete mess
> that followed. And I keep expecting to see the same set of problems
> affect python.

I'd like to see a way how to ease transitions between major version of
"basic" packages. It is an problem, if accumulated transitions
prohibit the migration of packages to testing. libgdbm recently broke
the migrations, glibc-2.3.1 broke the transition for about half a
year.

maybe it's time to define a set of "basic" packages on which a Debian
release is based on and then rebuild a new release on this
"basic-sid-or-whatever" release.

	Matthias