Re: Fun with python-apt

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 05:46:51PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> On Saturday, Jun 14, 2003, at 01:40 US/Eastern, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> >If you had wanted to find out the answer before sending this to
> >debian-devel, you would not have had to look very far.
> >bugs.debian.org/python-apt has the answer three times over.
> >
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=193566
>
> My two questions were:
> 	1) Why did dpkg-buildpackage wind up compiling with the wrong
> 	   compiler? Isn't there a C++ transition plan that should
> 	   prevent that.

python-apt will, by default, use the default compiler on your system.  Why
would it do anything else?

> 	2) Is there are better way to tell Python's building stuff
> 	   which compiler to use?

I do not know of a straightforward way.

> As far as (1), I ensured that all the build-time dependencies, as well as
> build-essential, were satisfied. According to Policy 2.4.2, it should
> work. It didn't.

According to 2.4.2, the package should build correctly.  It did.  However,
it didn't run because you had an incompatible version of apt installed.  The
dependency system does not have a facility to handle this situation.

> I do not believe 193566 comes anywhere near close to answering either of
> those questions. I also described a procedure that will get
> apt-listchanges working again.

It explains that python-apt in testing is broken, and no new version of
python-apt will get into testing until the new apt does, and that won't
happen until its RC bugs are fixed.

--
 - mdz