Re: Fun with python-apt

On Saturday, Jun 14, 2003, at 01:40 US/Eastern, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

If you had wanted to find out the answer before sending this to
debian-devel, you would not have had to look very far.
bugs.debian.org/python-apt has the answer three times over.

My two questions were:
	1) Why did dpkg-buildpackage wind up compiling with the wrong
	   compiler? Isn't there a C++ transition plan that should
	   prevent that.

	2) Is there are better way to tell Python's building stuff
	   which compiler to use?

As far as (1), I ensured that all the build-time dependencies, as well as build-essential, were satisfied. According to Policy 2.4.2, it should work. It didn't.

As far as (2), the only way I could find was to edit a makefile hiding in /usr. It ignored the environment (e.g., $CC), it errored out if I put CC=gcc-2.95 on the command line either before or after the target, etc.

I do not believe 193566 comes anywhere near close to answering either of those questions. I also described a procedure that will get apt-listchanges working again.

PS: I'm not subscribed to debian-python