Re: Policy problem

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 12:16:41PM -0600, Evan Simpson wrote:
> I'm running into dependency clashes while trying to install wxPython,
> and looking for help.
>
> Since I am a Zope developer, and different versions of Zope rely on
> different versions of Python, I need to have several versions of Python
> installed. In fact, I have installed the packages named "python1.5",
> "python2.1", "python2.2", and "python2.3" in addition to the standard
> "python".
>
> Although I am running stable, I am also using some packages from testing
> and unstable by pinning stable in /etc/apt/preferences and overriding
> the version for specific packages using aptitude.  Now I'm trying to
> install "libwxgtk2.3-python" from unstable, and this is where I ran into
> trouble.
>
> "libwxgtk2.3-python" is packaged in accordance with section 2.2.1 of the
> DPP, so it wants "python" to be (>=2.2, <<2.3).  My "python" is from
> stable, so it's version 2.1 and the dependency fails even though I have
> Python 2.2 installed.  Upgrading to the unstable "python" breaks 17
> other packages.

Unfortunately, the packager of libwxgtk2.3-python has chosen to only support
the default version of python... in "unstable". You can install this
package, but it will require the unstable versions of (nearly) everything
that depend on "python". You will probably also have to run
"dpkg-reconfigure" on any packages that depend on "python" that dont need
upgrading because they support python version's 2.1 or 2.2.

> I'm new to Debian and slowly learning about packaging; is it possible
> for a package to depend on (python >=2.2, <<2.3 OR python2.2)?  Is there
> some way around this for me, or is the answer "the packager has decided
> to support only the default version -- live with it"?

Yes, the packager or wxpython could have made packages to support various
versions of python, but it looks like he/she didn't.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key