Re: Bytecode compilation

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 02:41:09PM +0200, Florent Rougon wrote:
> Dave Swegen <dswegen@software.plasmon.com> wrote:
>
> > Surely the right way to handle this is using debconf in the main python
> > packages, and subsequently any packages check this to see if python
> > scripts should be compiled or not. Or have I missed anything?
>
> You are talking about (compiling the .py in postinst | installing them
> on the system without any compiled version); what was discussed
> previously is (compiling the .py in postinst | including the .py, .pyc
> and optionally .pyo in the .deb to avoid postinst byte-compilation).
>
> With the latter, a debconf question would not be very helpful since the
> .deb would have to ship the .pyc and/or .pyo anyway...

Not having really followed the discussion, and being faaar too bone-idle
to actually look it up in the archives, this is my view on it: Shipping
pre-compiled really isn't an option, as the size increase would be
unacceptable - not only from a debian archive/bandwidth POV, but also
from an older machine/tiddy HD POV.

Pre-compiling in post-inst is thus IMHO the only way to do it, and only
if the user wants to do it (I can just imagine how awful it would be to
install python2.2 + friends on a 486 with 16 meg'o'ram :) Maybe it would
be an idea to provide a script that the user can run when he feels the
machine isn't needed for anything else.

Anyway, I've done my uninformed butting in, and will return to lurk
mode.

Cheers
    Dave