Re: Bytecode compilation

Dave Swegen <dswegen@software.plasmon.com> wrote:

> Surely the right way to handle this is using debconf in the main python
> packages, and subsequently any packages check this to see if python
> scripts should be compiled or not. Or have I missed anything?

You are talking about (compiling the .py in postinst | installing them
on the system without any compiled version); what was discussed
previously is (compiling the .py in postinst | including the .py, .pyc
and optionally .pyo in the .deb to avoid postinst byte-compilation).

With the latter, a debconf question would not be very helpful since the
.deb would have to ship the .pyc and/or .pyo anyway...

--
Florent