Re: Python in package development?

Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis <luca@linuxasylum.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure of the usefulness of this approach.
> Even if python is one of my favorite language, it's still too young compared
> wit perl and it's staility. python is still evolving, and we have not, afaik,
> sufficent warranties of what will change and what will not.

I don't agree at all on this point. The backward-incompatible changes in
Python are well handled, you have plenty of time to take them into
account (thanks to the "from __future__ import whatever" statements).

AFAIK, Perl is not much more frozen than Python nowadays.

> It may be too much work to do and to maintain.

I don't think so. But sure, you can't just say "Hey, Python is much better
than Perl, let's get rid of these Perl deb* scripts and write them in a
real language" and expect anything other than huge flames.

If you want Python to take this way, you have to write a tool that
clearly is better (or complementary) than the Perl one and show that it
is easier to maintain and understand for those who didn't write it.
AFAIK, this is what is happening with linda (lintian drop-in
replacement).

--
Florent