Re: Python in package development?

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 02:46:46PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> As you may noticed ;), most of the Debian packages now use Perl in their
> build-time and install-time scripts.
> Why is this? Perhaps, we can make some version of python to be
> "default" (Just like we do now with 2.1), and make it a build-essential,
> and base? Then, we could write a python-debconf, etc., and use
> Our Favourite Language to develop packages for Our Favourite Distro?

I'm not sure of the usefulness of this approach.
Even if python is one of my favorite language, it's still too young compared
wit perl and it's staility. python is still evolving, and we have not, afaik,
sufficent warranties of what will change and what will not.

It may be too much work to do and to maintain.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have