Re: Python and Emacs

Jonne Itkonen <ji@mit.jyu.fi> wrote:

> And I again opposite to your opinion. If everybody uses tab to indent,
> then everyone can set his or her environment to render that tab with
> as many spaces as necessary, _or_ when using proportional fonts, as
> long an empty space as needed. I really don't understand why one would

That argument is not void, but using spaces only to indent ensures that
everyone writes code that has a reasonably depth (i.e., doesn't consist
of 1 function whose code is 200 columns wide). If someone is using tabs
with a length of e.g. 2 spaces, he will presumably write awful code as
I just described.

> like to use spaces to indent, but because of his or her inability to
> configure the programming environment used, or in the case of emacs, the
> impossibility of configuration (yes, I use vim and I'm happy with it,

Er, WTF are you talking about ?

--
Florent