Re: Python and Emacs

On 21 May 2002, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 15:27, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> [snip]
> >   I'm a bit annoyed with Emacs when editing Python programs because
> >   Emacs always replaces TABs with spaces ; this wouldn't bother me if
> >   Emacs was the only editor in the world. But when you share programs
> >   with others, it is better to have real TABs instead of spaces.
>
> This is amusing: I think exactly the opposite, since I indent
> every 4 columns, and if \t were set to 4, then when less'ing
> the file, it would look differently that it does in the editor...

(Skip the next chapter to read something useful...)

And I again opposite to your opinion. If everybody uses tab to indent,
then everyone can set his or her environment to render that tab with
as many spaces as necessary, _or_ when using proportional fonts, as
long an empty space as needed. I really don't understand why one would
like to use spaces to indent, but because of his or her inability to
configure the programming environment used, or in the case of emacs, the
impossibility of configuration (yes, I use vim and I'm happy with it,
though emacs has these nice environments like oo-browser etc).

And now something useful: less has an option '-x' which tells less how
many spaces to use when rendering tabs. The correct and the default value
is 8, but the option is available, and everybody is happy.

   Jonne