Re: Please test new 4suite

I've looked at the problem at hand, carefully, and here's what I've been
able to figure out:

On the debian package side:
 - boot-floppies build-depends on python-xml
 - python-4suite-0.11.1 works sort of ok with python-xml-0.6.8
 - python-4suite-0.11.1 won't work with python-xml-0.7
    -> the xml.xpath and xml/xslt modules in python-xml-0.7 are
    not shipped in the debian package, because they'd conflict
    with 4suite's xml.xpath and xml.xslt modules
    -> 4suite's xml.xpath and xml.xslt modules won't work (bug #128604)
    -> using python-xml's xml.xpath and xml.xslt is not an option,
    because they are broken too (see bug #510080 on pyxml's SF tracker)

On the upstream side, my understanding is that:
 - pyxml-0.7.1 is not likely to fix bugs in xml.xpath or xml.xslt, because
   the plan is to get thoses shipped in 4Suite 0.12 when things get a
   bit more stable on the 4Suite side, though this could change given
   enough lobbying (and active providing of patches)
 - 4Suite is not likely to fix problems in 0.11.1, since the fourthought
   team already has enough to do to push 0.12.0 out.

Additionnaly, my opinion is that
 - there is little actually used in 4suite-0.11.1 besides xpath and
 xslt (XPointer and XInclude depend on XPath, so they are probably
 useless as is), apart maybe from Ods which is completely independent
 from the rest of 4Suite, and could be a candidate for its own package
 - There is little hope to get 4suite-0.12.0 final released before some
 time, which means that it won't be able to make it for woody

Given that, I think that the best solution is either to
remove  python-xml-0.7 from woody and go back to python-xml-0.6.x,
or to
remove python-4suite-0.11.1 from woody and push hard to patch
python-xml-0.7.1 to fix the xml.xslt bugs

I'll start a discussion on the upstream mailing lists to see if anyone
has some other solution.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).