Re: Please test new 4suite

Alexandre <Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr> writes:

>>   Then, I'll try to see if I can remove xslt and xpath from 4suite
>>   0.11 and ship the one in python-xml 0.7. This may "unbreak things"
>>   (I don't really believe in that though).
>
> Hi,
>
> A few things that may be relevant here:
>
>  * There are no clashes between PyXML and 4Suite's xpath and xslt,
> because they live in differant packates (xml and Ft.Xml)

  That is right if you consider 0.12aX versions of 4Suite, but it
  is wrong with 4Suite 0.11.1.
  Currently, python-xml in Debian doesn't ship xslt and xpath for
  that reason.

> * the xpath and xslt packages in PyXML are mostly the ones that shipped in
> 4Suite 0.10.x, adapted to use minidom (or is it 4DOM? Can't rememeber, have
> to scheck) internally instead of 4suite's Domlette, so this means no API
> changes going from 4Suite-0.10 to PyXML-O.7

  Currently, 4xslt from 4suite 0.11.1 doesn't work with python-xml 0.7
  (see bug #128604) because of a namespace problem whose origin is
  a API change in python-xml 0.7.

  How can I solve the problem ?

> * as far as I know, there are a few things that won't work with PyXML's
> xpath and xslt, but these could be hammered out in PyXML-0.7.1, due out
> soon (and I could lobby/apply patches/fix bugs to get this done)

  Python-xml 0.7.1 will not enter woody, for the following reason:
  boot-floppies depend on it and I don't want anything to happen to
  them near a release.

  Now, I need a solution for #128604. What happens if I ship the
  xslt and xpath from python-xml 0.7 and if I remove the ones from
  4suite 0.11.1 ?

> * There were some API changes in the xpath and xslt APIs in 4Suite from
> 0.11 to 0.12.0a2, though in some cases a compatibility layer has been
> provided. People using 4Suite's xpath and xslt will most certainly have to
> upgrade their code anyway

  Well, this will happen after woody. 0.12.0a2 won't be uploaded
  to woody anyway.

> * I'm not certain that many products beside 4SuiteServer and Narval
> make use of the programming APIs. I (as a Narval developer) was quite
> alone to complain in the API changes on the 4Suite mailing lists. I'd
> therefore expect the number of people using 4Suite as a depend for non
> debian software to be relatively small. And for them, the maintenance
> nightmare is real, whatever solution you choose, but since I'd expect
> them to try to follow the latest API in their products, I'd strongly be
> in favour of including the latest available.
>
> What packages in Woody depend on 4Suite?

  There aren't any.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome@marant.org>
              <jerome.marant@free.fr>