Re: [un]versioned python dependency?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:44:56AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a small discussion with Julian Gilbey, packager of pktrace.
> Julian decided to make pktrace depend on python2.1, while pktrace does
> not depend on a specific python version per se.
>
> He asked me to take it up with you list; because I could do without the
> python2.1 dependency, but Julian doesn't see any other sane solution
> than to depend on a specific python version: when python gets
> upgraded, who's going to copy/move/recompile the modules?
[...]

There is already some work being done on something called "python-central"
that is working towards resoving this. Julian Gilbey has correctly taken one
of the only options available until "python-central" or something like it
is adopted.

Note that under testing and unstable, multiple versions of Python will
happily co-exist, so it should be save to install python2.1 on your
python1.5 systems.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key