Re: Gadfly package

20/03/2002 6:08:59 AM, Henning Schroeder <henning@users.sf.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>quoting from /usr/share/doc/gadfly/README.Debian:
>> TODO: convert gadfly to use the re' module instead of the deprecated
>> regex' module. Please send mail to debian-python@lists.debian.org, if
>> you intend to start with this.
>This work has already been done. Zope includes a modified version of
>Gadfly.
>
>As far as I know the source isn't maintained anymore by the original
>author, nevertheless gadfly is widely used.
>So I suggest to incorporate Zope's changes into the gadfly Debian
>package.
>Any thoughts?
>
>Henning
>
>--
>"There is no way to peace, peace is the way" (Ghandi)
>Henning.Schroeder@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.de
>http://www.Henning-Schroeder.de * http://www.gubba.org

The Zope version of Gadfly isn't easily separated from the main Zope CVS
and is only really included for the Zope tutorial. Whilst we can say
"incorporate Zope's changes" the practical result is a manual comparison
of the actual files to find out what has been changed as I don't believe
a CVS repository of the original Gadfly source is available.

However, Aaron Watters (the author of Gadfly) has recently re-surfaced
and promised to update Gadfly to work with Python2+, see his post to the
DB-SIG mailing list here;

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/db-sig/1059726

So patience would seem to be the watchword here.

Regards,
Andy