Re: pure python modules - Python Policy 2.2.3

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 09:32:58PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > If you ask me, scripts for that should go into the python package so
> > that not every python-xxx package has to carry them itself. Something
> > like /usr/lib/python/new-module $(pkgname) should do all the
> > preprocessing.
>
> the python package may not yet be configured, before a package uses
> it for registration.

If the package module package depends on python (as it has to anyway)
dpkg will configure python before the module in any case (safe
circular dependencies). So this is not an issue. Apart from that,
it would suffice to drop the scripts into the filesystem. If a maintainer
script of the module package can call /usr/bin/python .../compileall.py
directly I see no reason why it should not be able to do this through
a wrapper (which could even remember which source files are compiled
so that python2.3 when available can automatically recompile all
modules).

Am I missing something?

	Torsten