Re: [Python-Dev] Status of Python in the Red Hat 7.1 beta

Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 10:53:53AM -0500, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> > OTOH, if somebody can make a really definitive statement that I've
> > misinterpreted the responses, and that 2.x _as_ python should just work,
> > and if it doesn't, it's a bug that needs to shake out, I can address that
> > with our OS team.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "should just work".  Source
> compatibility between 1.5.2 and 2.0 is very high.  The 2.0 NEWS
> file should list all the changes (single argument append and
> socket addresses are the big ones).  The two versions are _not_
> binary compatible.  Python bytecode and extension modules have to
> be recompiled.  I don't know if this is a problem for the Red Hat
> 7.1 release.

Another issue is that there is an increasing body of code out there
that doesn't work with 1.5.2.  Practically all the code I write uses
string methods and/or augmented assignment, for example, and I
occasionally get email saying "I tried to run your code and got this
AttributeEror: join error message".  Also there have been some small
changes at the C API level around memory management, and I'd much
rather program to Python 2.0 here because its APIs are *better*.

The world will be a better place when everybody runs Python 2.x, and
distributions make a lot of difference here.

Just my £0.02.

Cheers,
M.

--
  To summarise the summary of the summary:- people are a problem.