Re: [Python-Dev] Status of Python in the Red Hat 7.1 beta

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 10:53:53AM -0500, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> OTOH, if somebody can make a really definitive statement that I've
> misinterpreted the responses, and that 2.x _as_ python should just work,
> and if it doesn't, it's a bug that needs to shake out, I can address that
> with our OS team.

I'm not sure what you mean by "should just work".  Source
compatibility between 1.5.2 and 2.0 is very high.  The 2.0 NEWS
file should list all the changes (single argument append and
socket addresses are the big ones).  The two versions are _not_
binary compatible.  Python bytecode and extension modules have to
be recompiled.  I don't know if this is a problem for the Red Hat
7.1 release.

  Neil