Re: Problems with new policy

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:37:58AM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:52:51PM +0000, Ricardo Javier Cardenes wrote:

> Maybe I'm an idiot and I don't fully understand the problem... but what's
> the problem?

Probably I explained bad the problem, or even there's no problem, and I'm
being worried before even trying it.

> Provided libsip-python1.5 and libsip-python2.1 can both co-exist, what's the
> problem with python1.5-pyqt and python2.1-pyqt co-existing? Where and how is
> the "libsip" being installed; is it in the /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages,
> or somewhere else?

libsip is not a Python extension module. It's a library needed by the
shared object part of extension modules created with sip.

> In any case, it is the same basic problem for any multi-version packages;
> you need to either make them co-exist properly so they can both be installed
> at the same time, or make them conflict and force any packages that use it
> to deal with the problems (ie, make two conflicting versions too, or just
> force everyone to use one version or not use it at all).

That's the point. There's no problem with PyQt. It's a Python module and
both it and its extension shared object reside at
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages. My problem is about libsip. If libsip
has to be at /usr/lib (as it's right now), then I have a real problem with
versioned packages (if I want them to coexist, of course).