Re: Python-2.1 becoming Debian's default Python version

* Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [011107 16:08]:

> >> The license claims to be GPL compatible, but according to the FSF, it
> >> isn't, because of the choice-of-law clause.
> >                                                                 ^^^
> >
> > Can you provide any proof for this claim ?
> >
> >>From http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html:
> >
> >   The License of Python 1.6a2 and earlier versions.
> >       This is a free software license and is compatible with the GNU
> >       GPL.  Please note, however, that newer versions of Python are
> >       under other licenses (see below).
> >
> >   The License of Python 2.0.1, 2.1.1, and newer versions.
> >       This is a free software license and is compatible with the GNU
> >       GPL.  Please note, however, that intermediate versions of Python
> >       (1.6b1, through 2.0 and 2.1) are under a different license (see
> >       below).
>
> You have to follow the "see below" link on this page.

Sorry, I guess I was misinterpreting you.

I think we do agree that the License of Python 2.1.1, according to the
FSF, is compatible with the GPL ? (That was my point, and I think I was
prejudicating you ;-)

Now for Python 1.6.1.

The 'see below' in the second paragraph links to this (refering to
'intermediate versions of Python (1.6b1, through 2.0 and 2.1)':

  The License of Python 1.6b1 and later versions, through 2.0 and 2.1.
    This is a free software license but is incompatible with the GNU
    GPL.  The primary incompatibility is that this Python license is
    governed by the laws of the State of Virginia, in the USA, and the
    GPL does not permit this.

This section is incorrect, in that Python 1.6.1 has yet another
different license. It should read something like

  The License of Python 1.6b1 and later versions, through 2.0 and 2.1,
  but excluding 1.6.1 and derivatives thereof.

Then, there should be another section

  The License of Python 1.6.1 and derivatives thereof

since this license is different from the license license of 1.6. In fact
the modification between 1.6 and 1.6.1 (which was made possible by
CNRI) was the major step in making the release of 2.0.1 and 2.1.1
possible.

OTOH, I wonder if B. Kuhn would be glad to list *four* different Python
licenses on that page ? ;-)

    Gregor