Best advice for users ?

Hi all,

I hope I may post this kind of message here (it's a user point
of view) I don't know this list, I've just read a few threads
up to now.

Here, we're a bunch of Debian-Python users and we are a bit
lost with the debian upgrade. What would be your best advice in
our situation :

we want to use Python >2.1 because of some different reasons
among which the need to use Zope 2.4

- on some development machines, we've installed the new
  versions from the different tgz in /usr/local

- on our production server, we still use Python 1.5 with Zope
  2.3 (Prudence, prudence, ...)

- on a test machine, I tried to upgrade through dselect and
  that lead to a big bang with all the dependencies. Old
  libraries have disappeared and new ones won't install.

Could someone of you gently tell us what's the best bet from
the user point of view ?

Thank you.
--
Denis FRERE