Re: Python packages in incoming

On 14 Oct 2001, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> > Jérôme Marant writes:
> > >   What about proposal and policy from Neil and his efforts?
> >
> > - the proposed packaging scheme doesn't allow smooth upgrades between
> >   one python version and a next version. compare python-1.5 to libc5
> >   and python-2.1 to libc6. there was a clear upgrade procedure to do
> >   the transition. The proposed packaging scheme doesn't allow such an
> >   upgrade. From my point of view, this is a showstopper.
>
>   What I dislike is that I have the impression that instead of discussing
>   these issues with everyone on the list, you silently prepared the packages
>   with Gregor. You came up with your version of packages as if nothing
>   happened. Talking to Neil would have avoided that he works on this
>   for nothing. I'm disappointed.

Your impression is inaccurate.

My first thought when Neil came out with his packages was, ``why is
this guy stepping on Gregor's toes by building packages for software
he doesn't maintain, and on top of that, ignoring the prior
discussions''... 10 seconds later I figured it is a good thing that
someone besides Gregor is taking a serious, hands-on, look at the
packaging of Python for Debian--because there seemed to be a distinct
lack of developer input to the prior discussions (which had started
going in circles before Gregor built the packages that were placed on
~flight).

I hope Neil is not too disappointed the scheme he used hasn't been
adopted, and doubly hope that he continues to investigate the
possibilities.  Debian needs more enthusiastic developers with the
time and resources to do stuff like that... in the very least, there
is one more person with a better than theoretical knowledge of the
issues involved.

- Bruce