Re: Debian Python Policy [draft]

Quoting Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca>:

> Donovan Baarda wrote:
> > In my above diagrams the (>=2.1,<2.2) dependancy could be replaced
> with a
> > python-api-2.1 provided by python (as suggested by Neil), but I think
> this
> > actually introduces confusion rather than convenience. The problem is
> that it
> > doesn't really represent a particular version of the api, just a
> particular
> > version range of the "latest" python package.
>
> It does represent the version of the API (for bytecode and the extension
> module binary interface).  I suppose I am abusing it in the sense that
> only the "python" can provide it.  If we go with your plan we drop -api
> bit and use python-X.Y instead.

I thought that python-api-X.X was introduced as a shorthand for python
(>=X.Y,<X.Y+1), hence why it can only be provided by "python". The reason for
this was to ensure that all the "python-spam" packages broke when "python" was
upgraded out of their compatible version range.

--
ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more information.