Re: Debian Python Policy [draft]

Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca> writes:

[...]

> Excellent point.  I've updated the policy document to prevent this.  The
> python package should provide python-api-X.Y.  Module packages should
> depend on python-api-X.Y.  If someone packages an older version of
> Python they should call it python-X.Y.  Packaged modules for that Python
> should depend on python-X.Y.  Older versions of Python should never
> provide python-api-X.Y.

I don't think this fixes all the possible problems.  To start with,
here's a diagram of my initial set of installed packages, where an
arrow shows a dependency or provided-by.

           /------------------------>  python-2.1  -----\
   spam  --                                              >  python
           \--->  python-eggs  --->  python-api-2.1  ---/

Now Python 2.2 comes out, and apt upgrades python-eggs for some
reason.  We then get:

           /-------------------------------------------->  python-2.1
   spam  --
           \--->  python-eggs'  -->  python-api-2.2  --->  python'

Yet again, spam runs the Python 2.1 interpreter, but depends on a
module in the 2.2 sys.path.

Does this mean that programs that depend on a particular version of
Python have to depend on python-api-2.2 as well?

My original suggestion would have lead to something like this:

            \-->  python-2.1-eggs  -->  python-eggs  ---/          v
                                                                python

When python-eggs is upgraded for Python 2.2, and doesn't provide
python-2.1-eggs any more, apt will refuse to upgrade it because spam's
dependencies would be broken.

I guess it might be worth having python-api-2.x anyway, to make sure
nothing gets upgraded until all packages are at the new version.

	You think you know... what's to come... what you are.