Re: Experimental Python packages

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 05:32:12PM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:

| > I think the admin should be able to choose which python implementation
| > is referred to by /usr/bin/python independent of which python (or
| > python-base if you prefer) packages are installed (the alternatives
| > mechanism may be a good idea for this).
| [snip]
| >     o   Jython or Stackless
|
| Just as far as jython goes, I really wouldn't want to offer it as an
| alternative for /usr/bin/python, one strong reason being that it won't use
| CPython dynamic libraries.

I didn't say it was a good replacement for CPython in general, but on
some system maybe the admin wants Jython to be the default and either
not have cpython or have it by a different name ("/usr/bin/python-2.1"
maybe).

In any case, Jython and CPython really do need to be able to co-exist
peacfully.

-D