Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:27:19 -0400
From: Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] re-ordering sys.path
To: Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca>
cc: python-dev@python.org

> >  So, I'm proposition to reorganize the PYTHONPATH like this :

["site-packages first" proposal snipped]

(Why do people write PYTHONPATH when they mean sys.path?)

> Will this work?  If so, why is it not already done?

I think it will work just fine.  I suppose I was afraid that people
would abuse this to override standard modules that will break other
stuff in subtle ways, but they can do that anyway using the
$PYTHONPATH environment variable.

----- End forwarded message -----