Re: python2.1 et al.

Le jeu, jui 26, 2001, à 10:34:40 +0200, Gregor Hoffleit a écrit:

> > <sigh>Too bad there's no DocBook-aware Wiki system...</sigh>
>
> Well, there's no DocBook-aware Wiki yet, but then, ZWiki uses mostly
> StructuredText. The ZopeBook is written in StructuredText, too
> (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=21038), and they have a script
> that renders that StructuredText into DocBook (cf.
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zope-book/Book/StructuredText/).
> At least it should be possible to export the Wiki's pages in DocBook
> format.

> OTOH, it's questionable if that would make up a pleasant document to
> read ;-)

Well, I think manual processing will give a better quality document. It'll
be a matter of doing cut and pastes to bring the rewritten text from the
Zwiki to the DocBook master, anyway.

> To be honest, I got the idea to set up a Wiki while reading your
> python-policy-experiments draft. I noticed that there are a few things
> in that are quite controverse I guess, and a Wiki might be a better
> place than a mailing list to collect feedback about the single issues.

Hmmm... I don't know. I've never participated in a Wiki-style document
redaction. OTOH, I'm ready to play the CVS daemon for the initial "heated"
discussion part.

It's a shame versioned dependencies don't currently work, I think I like
better the proposal with "virtual versioned packages"... Well, I've "heard"
they're planned for in two or three minor (not micro) releases. Anyway, this
policy work is way too late to make it into woody, so I guess we'll really
have versioned provides by the time we declare this document "law".

> Hmm, if you have a little bit time to spend, then perhaps have a look at
> the stuff mentioned above. With a little bit work, it might be possible
> to augment ZWiki with an DocBook export button (or even a PDF rendering
> FWIW).
>
> Then yes, please feel free to put the stuff into the Wiki. I have no
> idea if the Wiki will work for us, but it's worth a try I guess.

In fact, the Debian Policy's maintainers have expressed interest into
converting to DocBook (IIRC). Perl policy is now a part of the main policy;
it'd make sense to have ours in a very similar format.
I think that given the complexity of Docbook stuff, it's going to eat me less
time to maintain the DocBook master copy, with the Wiki being used to shape the
actual text, than to learn how to tailor alien scripts to produce output the way
I want to do it (in a DTD I barely understand).

I'm going to post empty with direct links to each section of the
generated HTML DocBook, so that each paragraph can be rewritten.

	-- Cyrille

--
Grumpf.