Re: [Python-Dev] Re: Python 2.0 in Debian

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 04:24:03PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > Is there any reason for you to include this choice of law clause anyway, if
> > you don't live in Virginia ?
>
> I have to make the governing law the German law since that is where
> my company is located. The text from my version is:
>
> """
> This License Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in all
> respects by the law of Germany, excluding conflict of law
> provisions. It shall not be governed by the United Nations Convention
> on Contracts for International Sale of Goods.
> """

Well, I guess that beyond my legal scope (why is it reasonable to exclude
that UN Convention ?), and certainly it gets quite off-topic on this list.

Is it really necessary to make a choice of law, and how does it help you? (I
mean, the GPL, the X11 license, BSD-like licenses, the Apache license and
the old Python license all work without such a clause).

AFAIK, RMS and his lawyer say that any restriction on the choice of law is
incompatible with the GPL, therefore I don't see how you could include such
a clause in the license and still make it compatible with the GPL.

If you're interested in some opinions from Debian, would you mind to send a
mail to debian-legal@lists.debian.org and ask there for comments ? Have you
considered mailing to licensing@gnu.org and ask them for their opinion ?

> Does anyone know of the wording of the new 1.6.1 license ?

I didn't even knew there will be a 1.6.1 release. Will there be a change in
the license ?

    Gregor