Re: Python(x) + Qt(y) + PyQt/sip(2.3)

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 01:18:14PM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > > Has anyone compiled PyQt-2.3, what versions of Python and Qt did you
> > > get it to work with?
> >
> > I played with -2.2.  Someone just needs to make debian packages of these.  I
> > keep meaning to do so, but until pyKDE is updated to kde 1.2 level, I have no
> > direct interest.
>
> The previous version I mentioned was pyqt/sip-2.1 (iirc)...
> sip Debainized ok (then I deleted the wrong tarball, grrr)
> PyQt needed some work with makefile.in(?), the .py's where not getting
> redirected to the temp dir during the install (they went to the fs
> instead).
>
> I was going to stop there, but... sip just finished building:
> py-1.5.2, qt-2.2.3, sip-2.3,
> using "./configure && make && sudo make install".
> It looks ok sitting in /usr/local; on the surface it looks like
> --prefix=/usr and building a /usr/share/doc dir will do most of the
> Debianization, I'll leave the 'do the internals conform to policy'
> questions to the developers.

I've been tracking CVS for sip, PyQT, and PyKDE for a while here.
Recently the author 'released' all of them as 2.3 with support for
Python 2.1 and QT 2.2.4.

Experience here has been-- sip 2.2 and 2.3 build basically
out-of-the-box. However, there are some nasty looking errors with -Wall
during compilation, I haven't had time to look too close, but lots of
switch statements with no default that don't cover all cases.

PyQT 2.3 built just fine with python-1.52 debs and sip 2.3. Again, lots
of disturbing errors during compilation, most of which probably trace
back to siplib... so I haven't actually coded much with it. I'm a
little concerned I may spend lots of time tracking errors in my code
only to have it turn out to have come from sip et.al.

BTW PyQT on a 300mhz Celeron takes almost as long as kdelibs to compile
~ 2+ hours -(

HTH

Gordon Sadler