Re: Python license and GPL programs

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:53:15PM -0500, Ben Darnell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:33:19PM +0100, calvin@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> >  Note that the license of Python 2 is not compatible with the GNU General
> >  Public License (cf. clause 6 of the new Python license). Please don't
> >  use GPL code with Python2 without asking the authors of the GPL code for
> >  their explicit permission.
> >
> > I am distributing Python programs under the GPL. So is this sentence
> > above telling me that all users are not allowed to use my GPLed programs
> > with Python 2.0?? What about previous versions?
> >
> > What is a possible solution? Use LGPL? Or restrict usage to Python <<2.0?
>
> IANAL, but I don't think the Python2 license has any effect on the
> license used by Python code.  The license conflict only affects compiled
> extension modules which are licensed under the GPL.  Code written in
> Python can be licensed however you wish.
>
> -Ben

I was just going to say that this still leave us using modules like
python-gnome when I noticed that python-gnome is LGPL'ed. Can anyone
with some clue say something about how the python2 licence and LGPL
work together? (I've got a feeling the problem is the same for
GPL and LGPL...) If nobody can answer, I'll cc: debian-legal.
--
Tom Cato Amundsen <tca@gnu.org>
GNU Solfege - free eartraining, http://www.gnu.org/software/solfege/