Proposal: we don't need multiple installs

Hi folks,

I think that the only reason we have for multiple installations of
python is the licensing compatibility thing. If I'm wrong, please
correct me now and ignore the rest of the post.

I have a question: Why don't use the non-free archive?

I think that this can be acomplished in the following way:

Package              Archive    Details
------------         ---------  ------------------
python-base          official   already done
python2-base         official   without gettext and frieds
python2-base-nonfree non-free   provides python-base and python2-base

Some cases:

1. Apps/Modules that runs on any python, but that
   are license compatible only with 1.5

  * must depend on python-base
  * can be on official archive

2. Apps/Modules that runs on any python and don't
   have license conflicts

  * must depend on python-base or python2-base
  * can be on official archive

3. Apps/Modules that runs only on python 2 or
   newer and don't have license conflicts

  * must depend on python2-base
  * can be on official archive

4. Apps/Modules that runs only on python 2 or
   newer and that are license incompatible with it

  * must depend on python2-base
  * must be on non-free archive

My plots:
  * users that use only fully license compatible software,
    can install the lastest version;
  * users that use python-1.52 compatible GPL'ed software
    can have the option of use it in python-2, if they can
    live with the license conflict;
  * users that needs to use software with incompatible
    licenses can install them from non-free
  * everyone can have only one installation of python

PS: I think that this doesn't break any debian guideline and will make
all happy (me at least). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Regards,
--
   (   /'_ _ _/ (   /_     \  Claudemir Todo Bom
      teleinformatica /    |    http://www.wiredway.com.br/~allgood
http://www.wiredway.com.br \