Re: Proposal: Reorganizing Python for Python 2.0

What I want is if we allow both Python 1.5 _and_ Python 2.0 to be
installed simultaneously we also must allow to actually use both at
the same time.
I want to do both
#python15 -c "import sys"
and
#python20 -c "import sys"
Or, I want to switch my alternative settings for the Python interpreter
from 2.0 to 1.5 and in this case I want all python applications to
work like before, but with the changed Python interpreter.

So we need
1) a directory where all source .py modules are put into, for
   example /usr/lib/pythonsrc.

   In this directory we have subdirs for
   a) compatible source for 1.5 and 2.0
   b) only 1.5, not 2.0
   c) only 2.0, not 1.5

2) a directory where all compiled .py[co] modules are put into, for
   example /usr/lib/python.

   In this directory we have subdirs for
   a) compiled bytecode for 1.5
   b) compiled bytecode for 2.0

Whats the good thing about this: Python applications put their source
into /usr/lib/pythonsrc. Then they compile for all available Python
interpreters (for example 1.5 and 2.0) and put the compiled files
in /usr/lib/python/x.x
This way all applications work with all installed Python interpreters,
they dont need wrapper scripts (but an application that works on
Python 2.0 only has to call the /usr/bin/python20 interpreter of course).

And a final thought: why dont we replace Python 1.5.2 with 2.0 and
save us all this hassle with Python versions? I dont think that there
are Python apps that only work on 1.5, but not on 2.0.

Bastian Kleineidam