Re: question on packaging of python applications

Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> writes:

> On 14 Nov 2000, Rob Tillotson wrote:

[...]

> > Any package that has a binary extension in it will necessarily have to
> > be compiled for a specific Python version.
>
> This isn't true. Python 1.5.2-compiled extensions will work just fine
> with Python 2.0.

Python 2.0 will complain though.  The API version has been incremented
because of the new Unicode types.

$ ./python
Python 2.0 (#1, Nov 15 2000, 22:30:44)
[GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2
>>> import zlib
WARNING: Python C API version mismatch for module zlib:
  This Python has API version 1009, module zlib has version 1007.

Here zlibmodule.so from 1.5.2 is in my $PYTHONPATH.

It didn't actually crash, though.