Re: compiler?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:31:27PM +0000, brad gray wrote:
> hello,
>
>     ok, i have to write a silly program to parse some text and make a
> system command.
>     i do all my development on a debian box,  and this is a great excuse
> to write some python,  but the catch is that this will also have be used
> on wintel machines and i can't require people to have python installed.
>     i don't want to write this is c,  but i have to end up with a '.exe'
>
>     so,  my question is ,  is there a compiler out there for python?

The python interpreter is a compiler (to bytecode), but there is no
native-code compiler for python.  There is, however, a program which
will bundle the python interpreter with your script and create a single
.exe file:
http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html
(the site appears to be down currently; try again later)

Note that this is a tremendously inefficient way to do a "silly program"
to make a system command.  Unfortunately, since there is no standard
scripting language on Windows, you're stuck with it unless you're
willing to write C/C++ (see cygwin if you're interested in a free
compiler for Windows)

-Ben
--
Ben Darnell              bgdarnel@unity.ncsu.edu