Re: Boot-Floppies: python task package

* "David" == David Coe <david@someotherplace.org> wrote:

David> "Martin Bialasinski" <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:
>> The problem is, that the boot-floppies will directly use apt-get, and
>> apt-get only reads the Depends: line.

David> OK, sorry I didn't understand that.

I think I didn't mention apt explicitly, so you could have only
guessed.

Specifically, the boot floppies will look like:

"Do you want to select from some predefined package sets?"

No -> dselect (task-* packages still available)
Yes -> - configuring of sources.list
       - selection of tasks
       - automatic marking of important and required packages for
         installation (dpkg --set-selection)
       - calling apt-get install <selected tasks>

David> Would it be possible for us to have task-python and
David> task-python-doc?  The description of task-python would suggest
David> that the user also select task-python-doc, but it wouldn't be
David> required.

Perfectly possible.

David> I also wondered about whether we should have a
David> task-python-devel, too, since some of the python packages are
David> probably not needed by or useful to people who just want to be
David> able to run python apps.  (I'm actually not sure about that
David> yet).  If we do that, can we have task-python-devel depend on
David> task-python?

Yes. E.g. task-gnome-apps depends on task-gnome-desktop.

Actually I completely leave it up to you which task packages you
define. As long as the number is smaller than the available python
packages we have won :-)

I just took what was available in the old master2files setup and
transformed it to the new form (and did some cleanup). If you think a
split is feasable, do it. This was done for sgml as well.

* "Gregor" == Gregor Hoffleit <flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

Gregor> A small correction: Please remove python-misc and
Gregor> python-net. They have been merged back into python-base.

I leave it up to David to do the changes.

Gregor> It's certainly up for discussion if we really should include
Gregor> things like python-gtk, python-gdk-imlib, python-glade and
Gregor> python-gnome, since they introduce dependencies on non-usual
Gregor> libraries:

I can not really comment on this, as I don't write Python. But yes,
there is always a trade-off.

If this can be splitted into python and python-dev, then I would do
this. In any case, I would include some words (depending on the
decision) what the package includes and what not in the description.

Gregor> I'd love to have them, but then task-python will force any
Gregor> user to install a whole range of gnome libraries!

Maybe python and python-gui or such?

Ciao,
	Martin