Re: [INFO] The Debian Java policy

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> writes:
> Many points are similar in our languages (such as the naming of
> "libraries", do Python folks use lib-XXX-python for their add-on
> packages?).

Nope, we've been using 'python-<whatever>'.  (And if I may say, I like
this much better than I would like lib-<whatever>-python, simply
because it makes finding python-related packages easier...)

On the whole, it doesn't seem like there's much policy to be made
about Python packages, since there seem to be very few confusing
issues.  If I was writing a Python policy right now, it would read
something like:

  1. Python extension packages should preferably be named
     "python-<whatever>".

  2. Python extensions shall be installed under
     /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages.

  3. Python extensions shall provide byte-compiled (.pyc and .pyo)
     files corresponding to each Python source file, preferably by
     compiling in the postinst.

  4. The Python interpreter and most standard libraries are provided
     by python-base; all Python related packages should depend on it.

And that's about all...

--Rob

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB  <robt@debian.org>