Re: possible contributions from Debian initial member to Debian history package (was: Re: contact)

Hi again,

On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 07:40:57AM +0200, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
<snip>
> On Sat, Jul 29, 2023 at 08:05:08AM -0600, wtm-deblists@siteslot.com wrote:
> > Hi. Some time ago
>
> That was in
> https://lists.debian.org/<87785e801c05d28aad29b8566d3b9987@siteslot.com> .
>
> > I offered to establish contact here for the purpose of
> > providing what might be useful historical info about the project via an
> > exchange to be conducted elsewhere. I saw one enthusiastic response on the
> > list but was unable to establish contact. I'm going to unsubscribe from the
> > list, but I'll still be reachable for a while at wtm-deblists@siteslot.com
> > if anyone wants to reach me.
>
> I'm sure we could improve the debian-history package with some knowledge you
> still have.  I've done a tiny bit of work on the debian-history package myself.
> I'm available for private email, irc chat, voice phone or video calls.
>
> I've just send you my contact details, lets work from that.

Bill and I managed to have a short but very enjoyable online video meeting.  We
discussed some of the early history of Debian: Bill was involved for about 3
years, around 1994.  See e.g.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1994/03/msg00066.html ,
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1994/02/msg00269.html and:

 dpkg (0.93.73) BETA; priority=LOW
  [...]
  * dpkg-deb(8) updated a little (thanks to Bill Mitchell).
  [...]
 -- Ian Jackson <iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk>  Sun, 10 Sep 1995 12:23:05 +0100

(BTW, it could be in the early days usenet news was used to communicate, next
to the mailing lists.  I didn't search for any archives of that.)

He also worked with Bdale Garbee in those days. Unfortunately, no stuff I
consider suitable for e.g. adding to the debian-history package was exchanged.
It was a pleasant meeting nonetheless!

Bye,

Joost