Re: Not everything clear in the Bullseye announcement

Hi Erik!

On 8/11/21 7:03 PM, Pfannenstein Erik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just trying to translate the Bullseye announcement draft and I stumbled
> across some things I couldn't quite make sense of. Meybe you can help me out
> and we can improve the announcement on the way.

>> Driverless printing and scanning are possible without the need for vendor
>> specific (often non-free) drivers. Most modern printers are able to use
>> driverless printing implemented via CUPS and cup-filters, bullseye brings
>> forward a new package, ipp-usb, which uses vendor neutral IPP-over-USB
>> allowing a USB device to be treated as a network device.
>
> First of all, this sentence is suspciously long, maybe there was supposed to be
> a period after "cup-filters" (cups-filters?).

I'll correct the missing 's', on cup-filters, good catch. The missing
period should be there but I went with a neutral tone since I merging 2
separate sentences and this was the first draft.

We generally pull from the release notes for the announcement[1]

> What puzzled me is ipp-usb. The paragraph states that it can be used to treat a
> USB printer like a network printer, but CUPS can handle USB printers just fine.
> Why would anyone need this so much that we mention it in a press release? Does
> it help with driverless printing?

which leads to this mash up on the first pass, the release notes
indicate that "This leads to a suitable device being automatically set
up to use a driverless backend driver when it is connected to a USB
port." As that portion was not specific but included to reference the
use of ipp-usb it was included.

I've re-worded both sentences to hopefully make them much clearer.

>> The Debian Med team has been taking part in the fight against COVID-19
>> by packaging software for researching the virus on the sequence level
>> and for fighting the pandemic with the tools used in epidemiology. The team's
>> work with Quality Assurance and Continuous integration is critical to the
>> consistent reproducible results required in the sciences.
>>
>> A range of performance critical applications now benefite from SIMD Everywhere,
>
> SIMD what? OK, I searched the web, I know now what SIMD Everywhere is (it makes
> certain features from x86 processors available on ARM[1]) but I'm not sure why
> this is of concern of our users. They just apt-get their software and don't
> care about anything else. Is it a way to tell people "whip out your RasPis, you
> can run any of the med-* packages on it and they're gonna run as fast as on a
> PC"?

I went down the same path on this, but don't recall linking to an
off-site explanation on such announcements. Ideally the wiki entry could
be more substantial for this, it does however link to the upstream[2]
repository which gives clearer information for the non-technical crowd.

The other reason why this is included is because the Debian Med team did
a lot of work on it and requested[3] the block of text you see in the
release notes. I think it is fair to say for their audience of users the
news is likely significant.

> Plus, I'd like it if we dropped the hard disk from "install Debian onto your
> computer's hard disk" in the live media section. It has some of a oldschool
> vibe to it, not only because hard disks are out of style but because nobody
> talks that way anymore (people just install software "on their computers",
> regardless of the storage technology). We're too modern to sound oldschool 😉

"Data Storage Device" doesn't have the same ring to it, and I don't
think that we wish to ostracize the thousands of raid arrays out in the
wild, many of which support our work and software mirrors. :) But
technology changes and in a few years you may be onto something.

[1]https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#idm120
[2]https://github.com/simd-everywhere/simde
[3]https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=987007
--