Re: Re: Request: Debian on Instagram

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:03 PM anon notmyfault64 wrote:

> Paul, please note that Instagram is different from other social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter), when it accept only photos and/or videos in a post (perhaps with relevant and meaningful captions). We're not talking about automatic posting to Instagram from other Debian Publicity channels.

I understand that, I was mainly giving background about how Debian
currently handles publicity. At this time we don't have many posts
with photos and none with videos. The ones that do have photos are
mainly text. Debian does produce conference photos and videos but I
don't feel they are the highly polished and shiny content one
typically sees on Instagram.

> In order for Debian on Instagram account can engaging other users, we should create contents just like what influencers done. In Instagram context, this mean that create high quality photos and/or videos for a post. Some posts might not be related to what is already on other publicity services (e.g. throwbacks, inspirational quotes, or random ideas) but the general idea is to engage all other Instagram users so that they will convince themselves to use Debian if they have access to their computer.

I don't think that Debian itself has enough volunteers with experience
producing this kind of content and the kind of production time that
such highly polished content requires. I expect that many Instagram
influencers have a paid full-time team behind them.

If you or someone you know has the ability to produce this kind of
work, possibly based on or related to the official Debian publicity
content, I think it might be interesting to explore promotion of Free
Software on proprietary platforms. It would be interesting to find out
if anyone there could be influenced to try out Debian.

> Also, when concerning about Stories feature, it also have several engagement feature, like yes/no polls which in some cases can affect development of Debian. Since I have not explored all what Stories features are and how influencers implement them, that the only advice about Stories for now.

In general, Debian contributors are mostly volunteers who work on
things that they are interested in (or get paid to do for their
employer) rather than being influenced by what an audience of users
might click on in a poll. When we have used polls, we have run them
using Free Software on our own infrastructure. So I don't see the
engagement features having much use by Debian.

> Regarding Debian presence on social media, I think it will be nicer to have official account maintained by Debian on Social Media SIG, rather than unofficial account run by fans of Debian. Better, Debian official accounts should be verified (have a blue tick).

Debian will not endorse any proprietary social networks. Personally do
not think it is appropriate to endorse, bless or show favouritism for
any individual social networks (libre or not) by marking them as
"official". I really like that we produce official content only on our
websites and make that available anywhere anyone wants it to be, so
our content can be everywhere.

--
bye,
pabs