Re: Mail templates

On 8/30/17, Ana Guerrero Lopez <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 08:43:30AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>> > I replied this email off-list.
>>
>> It might be simpler to respond to unsubscribe requests by pasting the
>> email address into the relevant unsubscribe form on lists.debian.org.
>
> You don't know to which mailing lists the person has subscribed and the
> email
> address they used to subscribe is not always the same they use to email
> you.
> Finally, the hard part is unsubscribing requires the person actively
> confirming
> this by replying an email that has an obscure subject line "CONFIRM XXXXX"
> coming from "SmartList". If they're not aware they have to reply some email
> to unsubscribe from Debian lists, they're most likely to ignore it.

I tried to respond to this (and volunteer) yesterday, but my computer
crashed k/t PEBKAC. That was a good thing because now I'm seeing your
points here before I jump in. By the way, this is keeping Debian-Devel
in the loop, but I don't think I'm subscribed, actually (so it might
bounce back). :)

One observation is that when I've unsubscribed from various lists, the
emails I received often have a notation describing what's going on.
Actually sometimes they have TOO much information that *cognitively*
buries the ultimate message, GRIN.

Those emails do most importantly contain the blurb that tells users
that replying to the email will complete the desired action, i.e.
unsubscribe in this situation.

But a question comes to mind today that didn't yesterday. Where do you
draw the line. Sometimes "real" (long time recognized) users respond.
That's not a problem, but other times it's unknown users. The
impression *for me* is that those unknown responders are occasionally
a calculated step in a particular methodology going on.

That "where do you draw the line" would be about those unknown
responders. What if it's (occasionally) a real user who saw that as
their very first opportunity to finally become part of the
conversation. I think I went over a year or more of lurking
subscription status before I finally chimed in at Debian-User, likely
on something very small, so I know that it does happen.. :)

I had another thought, but I won't post publicly. Hopefully I won't
forget in case this progresses and my thought needs... thought out
loud (or better yet, privately). :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey