Re: Debian Project News - January 1, 2016

On 01/02/2016 10:08 PM, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> Official Debian Images for Microsoft Azure
>
> The Microsoft Azure platform officially endorses and supports Debian, by
> providing in their marketplace official Debian images, which are created
> in collaboration between several Debian teams (the Debian Cloud Team,
> Debian Trademark Team, and Debian CD Team), credativ GmbH (Debian
> development partner), and Microsoft.
>
> More info can be found in the blogpost by credativ [11] and the Debian
> Cloud Team communication channels [12].
>
>    11: http://www.credativ.co.uk/credativ-blog/official-debian-images-microsoft-azure-are-now-available
>    12: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Cloud

Hi,

Words are very important. Here, IMO, you did a huge mistake.

Please do not ever use the therm "official Debian image" without further
checking for this. These image, while being what Microsoft promotes as
their official way to run Debian on Azure, are *not* a "Debian official"
images.

It is made of Debian Stable, plus some additional software (ie: an
update of cloud-init), which makes the image not 100% Debian stable.

Also, the image isn't made within the Debian infrastructure, neither it
is published on a debian.org site, or made during the automated ISO
creation of the ISO images. There's also no published ways (ie:
automation script packaged in Debian) to build the image.

All of this makes the image *not* Debian official, and you just wrote
the complete opposite thing, as the *title* of your news. It couldn't be
worse. I am very disappointed to read it written this way, as it doesn't
push vendors to do things the way we want (ie: integrated with Debian
stable).

Hoping the same mistake will not happen again,

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)