Re: Contribute to debian publicity

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply!

On 11.06.2014 05:57, Paul Wise wrote:
[CCing you, not sure if you are subscribed yet, apologies for the
duplicate if so]

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:52 AM, Silvia Frank <silvia.c.frank@web.de> wrote:

I have heard, that you are looking for people for the pr and press work.
Debian is always looking for new people :)

I am a Debian user since 2002 (my first version was "woody" ;-)) and in my
"professional life" I am working at a Linux software company in Germany,
where I work on the press releases/communication, website and various
marketing topics. And because I am a passionate Debian-user , I would like
to contribute a bit.
Excellent, thanks for your interest and welcome to the team! Please
subscribe to the list and join our IRC channel. Some more information
about how we do things is on and linked from our wiki page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity

I've gotten in touch with Francesca and she told me to introduce myself at
this mailing list and to get an account in alioth (done).
Please login to alioth and click the request to join on this page,
I'll approve the request.

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/publicity
Done.

To get started and to get familiar with your tools, maybe I could help
writing news for the website and/ or newsletter?
That would be great, here is some information about how DPN and the
Debian blog work:

http://bits.debian.org/pages/about.html
https://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/HowToContribute

Another idea is to write short articles on Debian deployments/Debian users,
which we could put on the Debian website (e. g. as pdf). It could be very
nice for people working in Debian as well as for "outsiders to get some
infos about such exciting use cases of Debian like e.g. the ISS or Spotify
;-). If you think, that a good idea, I could start with first drafts. Or if
you have other interesting Debian deployments in mind - just let me know!
We have a collection of testimonials from organisations using Debian
here, there are definitely some high-profile organisations using
Debian that aren't represented there though.

http://www.debian.org/users/

Oh great, I never notice this page on the Debian website until now. Maybe we could make a link from the frontpage to the "user site"? Is it possible to highlight the freshest or outstanding deployments, e.g. in a box at the right side beside the list? The list of deployments is very long and some of the entries seem very old, and I think visitors are more motivated to click, if they can see, which are the latest.

I think I will start writing a brief article on the debian deployment running at Spotify. I will send a first draft when ready.

Cheers,
Silvia

I think articles about Debian deployments could be interesting to
Debian contributors/users as long as they are written with the
audience in mind and well researched.