Re: Discussion: updating events page?

Hi there!

Please do not Cc: me, I read the list.

On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:50:40 +0200, Arne Wichmann wrote:
> begin  quotation  from Luca Capello (in <[🔎] sa74necber2.fsf@gismo.pca.it>):
>> On Wed, 08 May 2013 11:15:00 +0200, Arne Wichmann wrote:
>> > - We replace the events page with a link to a wiki page (I would be willing
>> >   to set up and sporadically maintain the wiki page).
>>
>> As from previous discussions, IMHO the Events page is something
>> different than a wiki page: the former has .ics entries, it is a
>> almost-static page and to me it some more official than any other *.d.o
>> domain.
>
> I am quite aware of this. .ics might be created from a wiki page, too -
> even though I am not sre how at tha moment.
>
> Moreover a static page for dynamic content is not a good idea in my eyes.

I do not see the Events pages as 'dynamic content': you organize
something, you announce it and it is added to those pages.  For
everything which is dynamic, there is the wiki, which is usually linked
From the Events page:

  <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/>

>> > - We drop the events page.
>> >
>> > Alternative options are of course welcome. An unupdated events page does
>> > more harm than good.
>>
>> I do not agree, it simply means that there is a problem.  The fact that
>> the Debian life goes on with events (being there on debian-events-*@
>> or other lists or wiki) means that this problem is not so critical.
>
> So we disagree. To elaborate: unupdates pages (especially event/news or
> similar) at least to me create the impression that nothing is happening in
> a community. If a page is not there or even better links somewhere with less
> official but at least halfway current information this impression will not
> be created.

Again: I do not consider *any* wiki, not event wiki.d.o, "official
material", but as I wrote in my first reply I am perfectly aware that
this is a quite different opinion in today's world.

> So, your option would be to leave the situation as it is? Or what is your
> proposal?

I do not have any proposal and any improvement will be fine: I have
simply stated my opinion, at least to continue the discussion.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca