Re: DPN review workflow [was: Re: DPN 03/2012 frozen. Please review and translate.]

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 01:40:14AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> [re-adding -publicity]

Thank you for this :)

> On Du, 05 feb 12, 20:37:09, Holger Wansing wrote:
> >
> > Ehm, I have write access already.
> > I'm unsure about the review procedure though:
> > Should I commit my suggestions directly, without any discussion?
> > In this case, the whole review process on the lists is IMHO a little
> > bit senseless?
>
> I've been wondering about this myself and have refrained from committing
> directly. Would it make sense to commit, but still post the patch for
> heads-up+review?
>
> I also thought about creating two patches: one already applied (typos
> and stuff) and one for peer review, but this means more than double the
> work.

IMHO a direct commit by people who have write access is the best
solution. People who already have write
permission on -publicity are supposed to be regular contributor who are
aware of DPN guidelines and best practices. So, there's no point in not
let them commit directly their patch.
I'd prefer a decentralized workflow with people who know what they are
doing: i.e. l10n-english reviewers, regular contributors of -publicity
and -webwml, translators (don't forget that translators work a lot on the
original, while translating, and so they could spot errors and/or typo
that anyone else could not see).
Obviously, l10n-english (and/or native speakers) has the last word on
grammar/spelling changes.

So:

  * if you have already a commit access (and you have already contributed
    a couple of time on DPN and/or website) go on, and commit your patch.

  * if you want to become a (more or less) regular contributor but you still
    not have commit access, please send here your patches: and after a couple
    of times we will (probably) provide you direct write access to the repo.

  * if you spotted a mistake, and you're not member of -publicity group on
    alioth (and don't want to become one) just send here a correction
    (*preferably* in diff format) and we will apply it for you.

Does it makes sense?

And talking about patch in diff format, I'd like to say that: this is IMO
the best format for review, as allows people who have to apply changes to
do it quickly and without risk of typos.
I appreciate every kind of contributions (esepecially regular), so not
only ones in the proper diff format, but if apply changes become too
time-consuming, I prefer to do not it (as my free time is quite limited).
So if someone else will apply them, ok. If not, I'll not do it (even if
this will diminuish quality of our beloved newsletter).

Cheers,
Francesca

--
"Nostra patria è il mondo intero